Summer Health Professions Education Program: Medicine
Program Dates: July 6 – 31, 2020
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a FREE summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions.
SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools.
The 6-week program will take place on the University of Florida campus, with on-campus room and board.
Medicine Career Pathway
Students accepted into the Medicine Career Pathway will:
- Explore medicine and its specialties, including Physician Assistant exposures, with faculty, residents and students
- Work with a human patient simulator to illustrate biological principles and laws of physics and chemistry using customized scenarios.
- Participate in clinical rotations and a variety of workshops on topics that might include career development, financial strategy and research.
- Tour the College of Medicine’s state-of-the-art George T. Harrell, M.D., Medical Education Building.
- Network with students who have similar goals.
- Students interested in the Physician Assistant exposure will also participate in the following:
- An overview and preparation for the Physician Assistant profession
- A PA School curriculum and professional opportunities panel discussion and Q&A with faculty
- A PA student perspectives panel discussion and Q&A with first and second year PA students
- A networking reception with students & faculty
The application for the UF SHPEP 2020 cohort has closed.
Applications for the 2021 cohort are anticipated to open in November 2020.
Admission decisions will be released on March 15th, 2021.
Applications are available at The National SHPEP website.
UF SHPEP Program Contact:
- Phone: 352-294-8628
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: Florida SHPEP
- Instagram: UF_SHPEP
- Coordinator: Jordan Sharpshair, MS
Other SHPEP programs at the University of Florida: