Summer Health Professions Education Program: Medicine
Program Dates: May 10 – June 18, 2021
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a FREE summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions.
SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools.
Normally the six-week program takes place on the University of Florida campus, where participants are provided on-campus room and board throughout this informative experience for students interested in the health science field. However the 2021 UF SHPEP is entirely online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Medicine Career Pathway
Students accepted into the Medicine Career Pathway will:
- Explore medicine and its specialties, including Physician Assistant exposures, with faculty, residents and students
- Work with a human patient simulator to illustrate biological principles and laws of physics and chemistry using customized scenarios.
- Participate in clinical rotations and a variety of workshops on topics that might include career development, financial strategy and research.
- Tour the College of Medicine’s state-of-the-art George T. Harrell, M.D., Medical Education Building.
- Network with students who have similar goals.
- Students interested in the Physician Assistant exposure will also participate in the following:
- An overview and preparation for the Physician Assistant profession
- A PA School curriculum and professional opportunities panel discussion and Q&A with faculty
- A PA student perspectives panel discussion and Q&A with first and second year PA students
- A networking reception with students & faculty
2021 Program Dates:
May 10th – June 18th, 2021
The application for the 2021 cohort will open on November 1st, 2020 and close on February 5th, 2021 at 11:59pm (EST).
Admission decisions will be released March 15, 2021.
Applications are available at The National SHPEP website.
UF SHPEP Program Contact:
- Phone: 352-294-8628
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: Florida SHPEP
- Instagram: UF_SHPEP
- Coordinator: Jordan Sharpshair, MS
Other SHPEP programs at the University of Florida: