Summer Health Professions Education Program: Medicine
Program Dates: May 14, 2018 – June 22, 2018
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a FREE summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions.
SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools.
The 6-week program will take place on the University of Florida campus, with on-campus room and board.
Medicine Career Pathway
Students accepted into the Medicine Career Pathway will:
- Explore medicine and its specialties, including Physician Assistant exposures, with faculty, residents and students
- Work with a human patient simulator to illustrate biological principles and laws of physics and chemistry using customized scenarios.
- Participate in clinical rotations and a variety of workshops on topics that might include career development, financial strategy and research.
- Tour the College of Medicine’s state-of-the-art George T. Harrell, M.D., Medical Education Building.
- Network with students who have similar goals.
- Students interested in the Physician Assistant exposure will also participate in the following:
- An overview and preparation for the Physician Assistant profession
- A PA School curriculum and professional opportunities panel discussion and Q&A with faculty
- A PA student perspectives panel discussion and Q&A with first and second year PA students
- A networking reception with students & faculty
UF SHPEP Program Coordinator & Contact:
- Takeshia Pierre, MPH
- Phone: 352-294-8685
- Email: email@example.com
UF SHPEP was a program site in 2017 and expects to continue as a SHPEP site in 2018. Please continue to visit www.shpep.org for the most updated information.
Other SHPEP programs at the University of Florida: